My 52 week cookie challenge finally came to an end a couple months ago. Fifty-two weeks and 52 distinct batches of cookies. The motivation came from wanting to fill the void left by Charcutepalooza's ending, but I wanted something weekly rather than monthly. The inspiration came from an anecdote in the Momofuku Milk Bar cookbook where Christina Tosi would bake goodies every night after work.
Below are all the cookies I made, starting from the most recent. I’ve highlighted and included pictures of the cookies that were personal or office favorites. Many of the flavor combinations were inspired by things I’d enjoyed eating. Although many of the choices may sound gross or weird, there wasn’t a cookie that was universally reviled. Most surprisingly, everyone enjoyed the durian cookie.
- 53 (Bonus Track): Crack Pie cookie. Inspired by Momofuku Milk Bar. (above)
- 52: Mushroom, spruce. Inspired by Next: The Hunt.
- 51: Chocolate, spruce, Buddha’s hand
- 50: Mung bean, pandan, coconut, Maggi. Inspired by banh tet.
- 49: Durian, coconut. Inspired by xoi sau rieng.
- 48: Soybean, pandan, ginger, coconut. Inspired by douhua.
- 47: Popcorn. Inspired by Coi.
- 46: Seaweed, longan, corn. Inspired by che sam bo luong and Ink.
- 45: Pandan, soybean. Inspired by soybean milk with pandan.
- 44: Purple yam
- 43: Candy cane, chocolate chip
- 42: Buddha’s hand, chocolate crumb
- 41: Chocolate, blueberry, peanut, honey. Inspired by Alinea.
- 40: Jasmine, coconut. Inspired by my mom’s jasmine-coconut agar-agar jelly.
- 39: Oatmeal
- 38: Maple, schmaltz, fried chicken spices. Inspired by chicken & waffles.
- 37: Chocolate, mint, cherries
- 36: Corn, shrimp. Inspired by Elizabeth Restaurant.
- 35: Chocolate chip
- 34: Corn, cocoa. Inspired by pozol.
- 33: Honey, honey powder, honey milk crumb, bee pollen. Inspired by Eleven Madison Park.
- 32: Banana, cheese. Inspired by my mom’s banana wrapped in Kraft singles snack.
- 31: Corn, cheese. Inspired by maiz con queso ice cream and Cheetos.
- 30: Jasmine tea, matcha milk crumb
- 29: Pea, strawberry, white chocolate. Inspired by Alinea.
- 28: Chocolate, raisin, orange
- 27: Peaches, milk crumb
- 26: Chocolate, strawberry, peppermint, black pepper
- 25: Peanut butter, strawberry
- 24: Hazelnut, chocolate chip
- 23: Tomato, sumac, olive oil powder
- 22: Chocolate, chocolate chip, coconut, peppermint
- 21: Peanut butter, banana, coconut, honey, pandan
- 20: Strawberry, lavender, pepper, milk crumb
- 19b: Curry, peanut butter, chocolate chip, coconut
- 19a: Fermented shrimp paste, Fruity Pebbles, marshmallow. Inspired by Schwa.
- 18: Pandan, oatmeal, raisin
- 17: Peanut butter, celery, olives. Inspired by DiverXO.
- 16: Longan, lotus seed, seaweed. Inspired by che sam bo luong.
- 15: Chocolate, kumquat
- 14: Mango, milk crumb
- 13: Banana, coconut
- 12: Chocolate, milk crumb
- 11: Black sesame, miso, sesame crunch. Inspired by Next: elBulli.
- 10: Persimmon, milk crumb
- 9: Corn, coconut, sesame
- 8: Milk Bar peanut butter
- 7: Milk Bar compost
- 6: Milk Bar confetti
- 5: Milk Bar corn
- 4: Milk Bar chocolate-chocolate
- 3: Milk Bar blueberry & cream
- 2: Milk Bar Fruity Pebble
- 1: Milk Bar cornflake-chocolate-chip-marshmallow
29: Pea, strawberry, white chocolate. Inspired by Alinea.
32: Banana, cheese. Inspired by my mom’s banana wrapped in Kraft singles snack.
46: Seaweed, longan, corn. Inspired by che sam bo luong and Ink.
48: Soybean, pandan, ginger, coconut. Inspired by douhua.